Our congregation was founded in old Round Rock on June 12, 1854, in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Richard Sansom. It was later moved to Georgetown and officially became First Presbyterian Church in 1881 when the name was changed by Presbytery. Our Sanctuary, erected in 1873, is the oldest one in Georgetown and continues to be used for our 8:30 worship each Sunday. The facility has been used as a public school and held women’s classes for Southwestern University in the 1870’s. It was later remodeled into the Gothic style, adding a steeple, narthex and belfry, where our 1877 church bell still resides.
Renovations to the campus have been completed and improved over the years. Since the 1950’s, we have added classrooms, office space, a Fellowship Hall/Worship Center and outdoor spaces for our children. In 2005, the congregation dedicated a two-story Education and Administrative building and multiple renovations to our existing facilities. We now hold our 11:00 service in the Worship Center – Fellowship Hall each Sunday.
Some thirty-seven ministers have served the church and nine candidates for the ministry have been produced. First Presbyterian has made an important commitment to developing future pastors for the church, serving as a Teaching Church for Austin Seminary. In the last decade, we have nurtured and supported eleven seminary students. The present pastor is Dr. Michael A. Roberts who began his pastorate on September 27, 1988.
Programing has been developed for all ages, including mid-week education opportunities, Bible study, annual retreats, fellowship, music, and Stephen Ministry. Mission trips to Alabama, Colorado, Louisiana, Mississippi, Belize, Costa Rica, and Mexico have helped our congregation spread God’s message to the world.
We make a special effort to be friendly to newcomers, welcoming all into the membership and ministry of our congregation. Currently, the church has approximately 600 members.